Convicted

 "It is not scientific doubt, not atheism, not pantheism, 
 not agnosticism, that in our day and in this land is likely 
 to quench the light of the gospel. It is a proud, sensuous, 
 selfish, luxurious, church-going, hollow-hearted prosperity."
Frederic D. Huntington
Forum magazine, 1890 
 
This past weekend was A) ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!  God could not have blessed me more at a more perfect time.  He knew exactly what I needed and the people that I needed around me. B) it was also very convicting of where I fall short as a Christian.
 
First off, my girl friends Lara and Lauren are two women that God brought into my life for a reason.  I am better for knowing them.  And the two of them truly blessed my life and gave me so much joy!  We had intellectual talks about God and the way he uses people and circumstances in our life to show His love.. We prayed together.. Cried together.. and had tons of laughs.  I can not wait to see these two women again in the near future and know that they are my family that I will never be able to replace.  I say that friends are the family you give yourself and it is SO SO true!
 
And now to the conviction part.  This weekend in my travels and down time I read the book The Christian Atheist: Believing in God, but Living as if He Doesn't Exist I read that after I finished Chapter Four in Crazy Love about being a "Lukewarm Christian".  You know one of the hardest hitting points is when it said God would rather take a cold person who knew nothing of the gospel than a "lukewarm" Christian.  And of course He would!!  The "cold" Christian doesn't know any better!  We "lukewarm" Christians do!  All the girls and I have several different lukewarm points we could relate to.  For me the hardest hitting is the idea of putting things on the earth as more important than the things of Heaven.  Do you know how many times I have said "I want to be married and have children before I die.  I want to be a mommy."?  Really Lynne?  You'd rather have a husband or be a mom over being in Heaven with your Heavenly father who loves you infinitely with no pain?  Am I crazy?!?  
 
Yes, marriage is supposed to me an image of Christ's relationship with the church and His people.  But the love of an earthly husband is SO minute (small) in comparison to the love of Christ!  I felt like the book, The Christian Atheist was literally an expansion of chapter four from Crazy Love.  So many of the same points were touched upon, but given in so much more detail and scripture reference!  Both spoke about relationships vs. God; having faith in other things vs. faith in God; holding on to money vs. honoring God with money; comparisons to other people who are "less Christian" than you are...  Simply Amazing!!!  I recommend both books to any believer or non-believers looking to ask questions.
 
And remember God is Good. ALL the Time!  
Isaiah 40:31

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 years ago... We Will Never Forget..

Softly Call the Muster... Let Comrade answer "here"

Alexis Verzal