Adjusting to Houston

WHAT a WHIRLWIND the last 8 months has been:
- Moved to Houston
- Started a new job
- Grandma passed away
- Moved into a new house
- 9 weddings in 4 months
- Broke up with my boyfriend
- My aunt passed away
- Death of a high school friend (and my best friend's boy friend)
              [I think that's about it.. not a whole lot though right? JK]

In that time, one of THE most important lessons I've learned is God is in control.  I've never considered my self to be prideful, but this past week the sermon was about humility.  And I can truly say the year of 2011 has been a year of humility.  God has consistently and conscientiously reminded me that I can't do it on my own.  In the past, I feel like I've gotten by being "happy" through friends, life, and external things of this world.  It's almost like until we are broken, our life will be self-centered, self-reliant; and our strength will be our own.  It's in that time of brokenness we remember we need a savior.

I felt so broken and lonely after breaking up with my ex and it was through that time that I really began to heal from everything else I had gone through.  I ran to God for guidance, for peace, and slowly it has come around.  Through out this 8 month journey, I've also learned to accept Houston and that's a pretty bold feat if you think back to my feelings and attitude towards moving to this city and the resentment I had after being here:  I've found a great group of friends to hang out with;  I have a group of Bible study girls that I'm fervently in prayer with;  I'm getting acclimated to my new church; I'm getting ready to move into a new home and a much more peaceful environment. 

I'm finally beginning to see what I like to do around Houston, where I like to eat, go out, who I want to surround myself with.. I've connected with old high school friends which has been a BLAST!  And most importantly, I'm learning to be comfortable in my own skin.  The past two weekends I've had low key nights in with friends and great convo and nights out to connect with other friends I just don't get to see enough.

I can only imagine what else is in store for me, but I know I'm in a much better place to handle what life throws at me than what I was 8 short months ago, even 4 months ago.  Remember Faith in God also means Faith in His timing.

"The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy.  I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance to the full, till it overflows".  John 10:10 AMP

"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]" John 16:33 AMP



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 years ago... We Will Never Forget..

Softly Call the Muster... Let Comrade answer "here"

Alexis Verzal