welcome to the 2011 pageant season

So this past weekend the first two pageants of the the 2011 season got underway, and lucky for me, I got to be at both of them ALL DAY Saturday and Sunday (: No, really I was.. But I wouldn't have wanted to be any where else.

Saturday I judged the Miss Teen North Texas and Miss Teen Trinity River pageant.  I got the opportunity to sit next to a Texas Tech alum which was a lot of fun, but it was also very rewarding.  He had never judged a pageant before and wasn't really sure what to expect.  After 9 contestant interviews (ages 13- 17), he turned to me and said, "Wow, I am blown away.  I just have a completely different opinion of pageants now."  We talked a little about his previous opinion, and I am happy that his new one is so positive.

I don't think a lot of people realize how intelligent and well-spoken the girls are that compete in the Miss America program.  Well, how intelligent and well-spoken the successful ones have to be in order to be successful.  These girls were AMAZING!!  The things they knew about, the things they were passionate about, and not afraid to talk about.. I mean in these interviews, NOTHING is off limits to ask.  You have teenage girls talking about cancer, death, depression and politics- having opinions and stances on things that really matter.

I consider myself a product of this system because although I never won the title of Miss Texas, I grew so much and became who I am today because of my experiences in pageants.  (I wrote a post about this earlier so I won't go into all that again). All I can say is, "wow". And the friendships?

That's me on the far left at 17.. and the girl in the center? Rebecca Robinson, one of my ABSOLUTE best friends, has been for a while, we are going on  12 years.  I always joke if I ever get married I will have the prettiest bridesmaids because most of them are going to be my pageant sisters.

(me, becca, & faith)
(Lisa, becca, and me- preLASIK)

I can not say enough good things about those girls.  I owe jobs to my friends from pageants, a million and one laughs/smiles/hugs, and a voice on the other line when I needed a friend.  Man, Becca and I for one have been through a lot and I bet there is more to come.


The four of us have been through a lot too.  Becca, Faith, Danielle, and I are usually together; whether it's dinner, a pageant function, or a reunion of some sort.  We have each other's back and are VERY picky about who our girls date; more so now.. Can't imagine where we'd be with out each other.

Then there's also Jordan and I!  She is busy wedding planning, running a business, and trying to sell a house so we don't get to see each other as much.  But Becca teaches classes for her and is one of her bridesmaids!!

But there is something else I must discuss about the the pageant world- the quality of people who are in it.  Miss America is all volunteer.  So me judging Saturday, and then being the associate producer/ dancer in the Miss Colleyville pageant Sunday; I did that because I wanted to volunteer my time.  The producers, the directors, the emcees, the judges, the sound people, the judges coordinators ALL VOLUNTEERS.  Couldn't run the pageants with out them.

And then there's people like Ed Huckfeldt and Danny Wright.  
These two men are the directors for the Miss Colleyville pageant and they are two of the most genuine men I have the pleasure of calling my friends.  Their new title holders are going to have a wonderful year because they have two of the most selfless directors, encouraging directors, and supportive directors.  I teared up yesterday telling them good bye because I just love them and who they are SO much and what they have given to me.  Their friendship is irreplaceable!  They are part of my family now and I love every moment I get to spend with them!

And then you look at the life they've given to two boys- lives that they could have never imagined.  Hayden and Hudson have a day-to-day life other boys would only dream about (:  They get to hang out with pretty pageant girls all the time, and we are a staple in their lives.  We love these boys like they are our brothers and joke that they always have the hottest dates!
Although they look like they are related, they are not; but Hayden and Hudson were both adopted by Ed.  He even got to give Hayden his first bath and cut his umbilical cord!  Ask him about it and he'll tear up :)  Ed loves his two boys SO much!!  And he is one amazing father.  I know plenty of parents that could take a page from his book to learn to be more encouraging and supportive of their kids' dreams, goals, and aspirations. 

And now, Becca, Faith and I are probably going to soon be forgotten because these two beauties will be spending a LOT of time with my two favorite soccer players!  Jordan and Reilly Johannsen, the new Miss and Teen Colleyville!  I couldn't think of two more beautiful girls to mentor Hayden and Hudson- truly two amazing role models!
(ok so I joke about us being forgotten.. I know that won't happen :)  It's more like Hayden and Hudson got two new big sisters/ mother figures)

So, say what you want about pageant girls; but until you've met one and seen the impact they've made in other people's lives, don't judge them.

It should also be noted that Miss America is the largest scholarship provider for young women in the United States... how's that for a reason to compete?

This picture I just had to add because I love this man so much!  lol He is a fabulous dancer, has an amazing heart and creative mind, obviously gorgeous- but unfortunately I do absolutely nothing for him :) and neither do any of you other girls so don't get any ideas..






**A blog will soon follow about my sister and brother thanks to the pageant world**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 years ago... We Will Never Forget..

Softly Call the Muster... Let Comrade answer "here"

Alexis Verzal