Friends aren't always right..

This past weekend three of my friends got engaged, yes THREE!!  And I couldn't be more excited!!  I have to say I truly love weddings and couldn't be happier for them.


One of the girls that got engaged is a great friend of mine, and one of my bridesmaids, Becca.  I actually got to be a part of her proposal and witness it!  It was so emotional and amazing!  But one of the things that hit me the hardest was the fact that when they first started dating, I was totally against this guy.  I can't say she and I got in a huge argument about it, but we definitely got into a disagreement.  She basically told me that she knew more than I did and that this relationship was the right decision for her.  So I kept my opinions to myself and supporter hers.


Flash forward two years to when I started dating Cale, my now fiance, and I was put in the same place I put Becca.  My then so called best friend didn't agree with me dating Cale for various reasons:  she thought it was too soon since my last relationship, thought our pasts were too different, thought he was "too nice".  But the problem is she never got a chance to know him.  She never gave him the chance to realize the type of guy I had described in all our years of friendship as the guy I wanted to marry was Cale.  We stopped being friends for lots of reasons, but that was definitely a big one.


In my opinion, as a best friend, you absolutely have the right to tell someone, "I don't think this is the right guy for you".  However, after that, you don't need to keep hounding them.  It's their relationship; it's their life, not yours.


So with that, I can say, I was wrong.  I was wrong that Ryan wasn't the right guy for Becca.  Talking to him about the proposal and seeing how happy my friend is made everything feel right.  I can't imagine a better man for Becca and I know she is the perfect girl for him too.  I'm happy I was wrong, and so excited for their marriage!  It just goes to show you shouldn't always take your friends' advice :)


Colossians 3:12-14 Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 years ago... We Will Never Forget..

Softly Call the Muster... Let Comrade answer "here"

Alexis Verzal