PURE JOY

JP brought an awesome message last night at The Porch and man, did it hit home!

“We were promised sufferings. They were part of the program. We were even told, ''Blessed are they that mourn."" C.S. Lewis

Trials + Faith = JOY

I have been reading the amplified version of the Bible lately because I feel like it REALLY explains and illustrates how loving God is, how he understands, and accepts us..  it's more illustrating, more detailed.  For example, the NIV version of James 1:2 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds" and the amplified version: "Consider it wholly joyful, my brethren, whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort or fall into various temptations".  That's a pretty weak example, but you kind of understand.. A shout out to one of my bible study leaders, Lulie for introducing the amplified version to me even if it takes longer to read.

So I have been having a rough and VERY busy couple of weeks at work and in my personal life.  It's been draining: emotionally, physically, and mentally.  On Monday I was telling people I needed a weekend FROM my weekend.  Luckily I have learned to leave the work stuff at work and enjoy my personal life outside of work as much as I possibly can.  So far, it's been a success.  But when my weekend is non stop I need some time to be still to stop, to think...

A lot of changes have been going on at work, making it pretty stressful.  Tuesday was another bad day to say the least.  I left work and was like "I need a drink to unwind" (not in a let's go get drunk type of way, but in a glass of wine with my girl friends type of thing), instead I went to The Porch to hear JP start his series on the book of James.  I'm glad I did because then, this morning, I got word that one of my dearest friends was diagnosed with prostate cancer...  

Last night, JP talked about the struggles that we face: from break ups, job losses, disease, and death.  We are guaranteed to go through struggles.  It's not a matter of "if" but "when".  And we are supposed to be joyful when we go through these struggles, these trials?

Notice the second verse in James, chapter one, it says to consider it PURE joy when we FACE trials.. Not after you've over come that trial, but actually during the struggle.  And that doesn't mean that we have to act like everything is ok.. We can cry, scream (preferably not AT someone), show emotion.. show that you are hurt.  But it's how you handle that hurt.  When your boyfriend or girlfriend breaks up with you do you go drink your sorrows away? When you get laid off because the economy is sinking to you sit at home and neglect all other responsibilities?  When someone close to you dies, do you curse and scream asking "why"? Or do you step back and say, I know God has a purpose for this, and I'm gonna trust Him?  God I'm trusting you, even though I am hurt, even though I am suffering, I'm trusting you.  I've done both, and I have to say the latter is better.

When we suffer I like to think it's God reminding us that we need him.  That we can't handle this world on our own.  My good friend once told me, "when you're down to nothing, God's up to something".  And I think that's true.  He told me that when I was at a pretty low point in my life.  I've mentioned in here about one of my exes that cheated on me, got his ex pregnant, etc and just how horrible that experience was.. I can't describe the pain and betrayal I felt during that time, but man when I took a step back I was SO GRATEFUL!  Praise God I found out everything I did about this guy when I did and not later.  I mean that made it SO much easier to walk away.  And this was a guy I was reading the Bible with and praying with, I can't imagine how much more emotionally connected we could have gotten if we continued down that road and then I found all this stuff out.. 

God's timing is perfect.. When things happen that you rejoice about.  When things happen that you cry about..  There is a perfect plan helping it all to happen when you need it, when you can handle it, and even when you don't think you can handle it.

Ever heard the saying, "learning the hard way is still learning"?  Unfortunately, some of the lessons we learn can be more difficult than others.  They make break us down and sting.  But fortunately, today you are a wiser, more equipped, and more capable person than you were yesterday because of the things we learn or experience every day.  Take a moment to reflect on what you have learned, even from circumstances where you feel that you have lost or have been disappointed.   I bet when you think back you might realize you have gained more than you might realize.  Each day is a new day.  If you apply your wisdom, it just might be your day! 

You can not go back and make a brand new start, but you can start now and make a brand new end. - Unknown

Hebrews 12:2 (Amplified Bible) 2Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:2 (New International Version) 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 years ago... We Will Never Forget..

Softly Call the Muster... Let Comrade answer "here"

Follow Me